Information for Travellers
Friday, January 15, 2021
Friday, January 15, 2021 at 2:05 pm AST
Bermuda is open and welcoming visitors back to the island.
Our island home has always been a precious resource set apart by its geographic location and way of life. Over the past few months, we’ve been dedicated to protecting our community and pristine destination for our residents and guests to enjoy for years to come. When you are ready, we look forward to extending a warm welcome to you out here.
Visitors are to comply with the following Bermuda Government protocols:
Pre-departure — A traveller must:
- One to three days before departure, complete the Bermuda Travel Authorisation process online which gathers important information for the island’s health and immigration officials; a $75 fee per traveller is required, which includes the cost of all COVID-19 testing in Bermuda. Only MasterCard and Visa are accepted. Each passenger must have a form completed regardless of age. NOTE: Children 9 and younger do not have to be tested at any point, and their Travel Authorisation fee is $30. Travel Authorisation FAQ
- Effective December 4, visitors must take a PCR COVID-19 test and obtain a negative result no more than five days before arrival. The day of testing is day 0. This applies to adults and children aged 10 and up. Children who are nine years old and younger are exempt and are subject to their adult travel companion’s quarantine. Children 10-17 must receive parental consent to be tested. If consent is denied, the young traveller must quarantine for 14 days on arrival. Test results must be entered as part of the online travel authorization process and be presented upon arrival in Bermuda. Visitors without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorisation and enter Bermuda.
- Travellers now have two options to get tested for Bermuda travel through Costco; purchase a test kit voucher from Costco.com and have the kit shipped to your home, or purchase the test kit from select Costco pharmacy locations. To purchase in the pharmacy, travellers must first complete an online health assessment and get a lab order. You will receive a lab order QR code. Show this code to the pharmacist to purchase your kit at any of the participating Costco pharmacy locations. Follow the step-by-step instructions for purchasing your at home test kit from participating Costco pharmacies at azova.com/costcotravel.
- For New York City-based visitors, COVID-19 PCR screening service is available through OpenClear's Midtown Manhattan testing site every Tuesday (9 am to 3 pm, by appointment only – see website for most up-to-date testing schedule).The COVID-19 PCR screening includes either saliva or nasal swab procedures and requires proof of travel to Bermuda within five days (flight number and flight date). OpenClear offers three result turnaround times (12–24 hours, 24–48 hours, 48–72 hours), with prices starting at $199, and is an out-of-network testing service provider that does not accept any insurance for this COVID-19 screening service. The service aims to help visitors to Bermuda from the New York City area, as well as returning residents of Bermuda, obtain a COVID-19 PCR test result.
- Wear face masks and practise physical distancing at the departure airport.
Additionally, a traveller should:
- Acquire health insurance covering illness and injury outside of your home jurisdiction, including those related to a positive COVID-19 diagnosis while in Bermuda. If this is not obtained, a visitor will be responsible for all health and accommodation costs should they require treatment and/or quarantine, including costs related to a positive COVID-19 diagnosis in Bermuda
- Pack a thermometer
In Flight — During flight, travellers must:
- Wear a face mask while on the plane
- Practise physical distancing to the extent possible
Upon Arrival — Upon arrival, travellers must:
- Attention United Kingdom travellers: Effective December 24, 2020, visitors and returning residents travelling to Bermuda from the UK even with a pre-arrival negative COVID-19 PCR test result, will be required to quarantine in their accommodation for four days and cannot be released from quarantine until they have a Day 4 negative test result. This new protocol will also apply to those who have travelled in the UK anytime in the 14 days prior to arrival in Bermuda.
- Show a copy of your Travel Authorisation. If you do not have a printer, have ready a charged phone or tablet to show your Travel Authorisation.
- Present a copy of the pre-departure COVID-19 negative test result taken no more than 5 days before departure. The day you test, is day 0.
- Undergo PCR COVID-19 testing at the Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport. Those with a pre-departure PCR COVID-19 test will quarantine at their accommodation until results are ready (turnaround time is approximately 24 hours for most results, though results may take longer depending on arrival time).This applies to adults and children ages 10 and up. Children less than 10 years old are exempt from the PCR COVID-19 test.
- Effective December 8, all returning residents and visitors are required to wear a Traveller Wristband for the first 14 days of their stay. Traveller Wristbands will be distributed during testing upon arrival. Travellers who do not wish to wear the wristband will be required to quarantine at their accommodation for 14 days.
- Wear a face mask and practise physical distancing to the greatest extent possible.
On-island Experience — When enjoying Bermuda, travellers must:
- Practise physical distancing, hygiene and mask-wearing in all public spaces where there is close contact with others, including on all public transport (taxis, ferries and buses). Simultaneously, we’re working to increase contactless payment methods
- Take your own temperature twice per day and report via online application/portal
- Take a COVID-19 test, administered on Day 4, Day 8 and Day 14 at testing centres (Perot Post Office, City of Hamilton Mon–Sat; Southside, St. David’s Sun). The location and time of each of your tests will automatically be booked for you, so please do not arrange separate appointments. You will receive email reminders 24 hours before each test. To reschedule the time, please call the government’s COVID-19 hotline: 441/444-2498 (open 9 am–9pm). Note: For subsequent on-island tests, Day 0 is the day you arrive in Bermuda.
- Comply with restrictions on gatherings to a maximum of 10 people, with physical distancing in place.
- Adhere to the new indoor dining restrictions effective December 7. A helpful guide for Bermuda travellers’ first 14 days is available here: A Traveller's First 14 Days
Travellers should review all travel protocols and requirements in place at the arrival destination:
Travellers departing Bermuda can book a private test with an approved medical practitioner on island. However, in many cases, the existing public health testing protocol for visitors on days 4, 8 and 14 meets the requirement of travellers returning to the U.S., U.K. and Canada.
Bermuda Hotels Open
Bermuda boasts a variety of pristine, spacious resorts and clean, comfortable cottages that will be open to host guests beginning in July. Beautiful views, plenty of room, safe and healthy service await:
|Hotel Name||Target Opening Date|
|Aunt Nea's Inn||Open|
|Blue Horizons Guest House||Open|
|Coco Reef Resort||Open|
|Coral Beach Club||Open|
|Edgehill Manor Guest House||Open|
|Little Pomander Guest House||Open|
|Newstead Belmont Hills Resort||Open|
|The Reefs Club||Open|
|Rosemont Guest Suites||Open|
|Royal Palms Hotel||Open|
|The Sandpiper Guest Apartments||Open|
|The Loren Hotel||Open|
|Hamilton Princess & Beach Club||Open|
|Cambridge Beaches Resort & Spa||Open|
|Grotto Bay Beach Resort||Open|
Targeted Opening Date:
|Hotel Name||Target Opening Date|
|Pompano Beach Resort||02/26/2021|
|The Reefs Resort||03/01/2021|
|St. Regis Bermuda||04/01/2021|
|Bermudiana Beach Resort||07/01/2021|
COVID-19 Positive Test Result
If a traveller becomes COVID-19 positive, is a close contact of a positive person, is symptomatic, or if a traveller is clinically diagnosed at any point, they will be subject to public health (COVID-19) regulations and will be quarantined or isolated, as appropriate, at their accommodation for up to 14 days. Each property will provide guidance on its parameters for handling positive cases, including, in many instances, offering a quarantine room at the same property at no additional cost for rate-paying guests.
Anyone who becomes COVID-19 positive, or whom health authorities believe could be positive, will be fitted with an Aqua electronic bracelet to assist with isolation/quarantine.
Links to Useful Resources
- Flight Schedules
- New York City: OpenClear Expedited COVID Testing
- Costco PCR Covid Testing Kits
- Bermuda Visitor FAQs
- Airport and Air Service Information
- Bermuda Government COVID-19 Facts
- A Traveller's First 14 Days
- WeHealth Bermuda
Plan Your Trip
For trip planning ideas and safe, responsible ways to experience the island, see our guide for Bermuda-bound travellers.