Bermuda Welcomes Top Influencers for Cup Match Weekend In 2022
Friday, July 29, 2022
Held every summer, Cup Match is Bermuda’s most exciting event of the year for Bermudians both local and abroad. Now, the rest of the world will see why. To promote the country’s deep cultural and historical roots to international audiences, the Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) has launched a major influencer and content partnership play that will bring several top influencers to the island during Cup Match 2022. The overarching aim of the project is to encourage more of the creative class to travel to — and bring business to — the island in the realms of film and photoshoot opportunities.
The BTA’s Cup Match influencer guests include:
- Lenny S.: Lenny Santiago, widely known as Lenny S., is a renowned celebrity photographer with more than 600,000 Instagram followers, in addition to making waves as an innovative music executive with Roc Nation.
- Dapper Lou: As comfortable with street style photography as with high fashion, Lougè Delcy (AKA Dapper Lou) brings together fashion, lifestyle, travel, and culture in his vibrant work.
- Derrick Jones: A modern-day renaissance man, Derrick Jones (also known as D-Nice) has navigated the worlds of Hip-Hop, celebrity photography and art over the past 40 years, creating an impressive body of work and earning more than 3 million Instagram followers.
- Gabriella Karefa-Johnson: A highly respected New York based stylist and global Vogue contributing editor, Gabriella Karefa-Johnson brings a new attitude to styling, creating unforgettable work that is energetic and opulent.
- Chinyere Adogu: Also known as Chi, Chinyere Adogu is a New York based beauty queen, host, model, traveler, social media influencer whose powerful online presence has established her as a fashion idol and influencer.
- Nyja Richardson: This NYC-based blogger and influencer gained a devoted following when she traveled the world with her young son, highlighting the power of travel as a transformative practice.
BTA will leverage these new relationships to create valuable business development, film and photoshoot opportunities that will benefit Bermuda across multiple platforms. During their time on the island, the influencers will work alongside a select group of local content creators who will help them experience authentic Bermuda and Cup Match experiences. Moving forward, BTA plans to expand its partnerships with local content creators as new campaigns are rolled out in 2022 and beyond.
In addition to enjoying classic Cup Match festivities, guests will enjoy Bermudian cuisine, a jet-skiing tour, a visit to the island’s natural attractions, the Bacchanal Run (a J’Ouvert-style event) and much more.
“While here, our guests will have the chance to explore our dynamic island culture, soak in our British charm, revel in our Caribbean heritage and immerse in the Bermudian way of life,” said Tracey Berkeley, BTA Interim CEO. “These partnerships will solidify important relationships with influential content creators, as well as increase our engagement with local content creators.”
Although Cup Match is full of celebration, BTA’s influencer guests will learn that these two days are so much more than cricket games, friendly rivalries, fresh seafood, and Crown & Anchor. As many take much needed time off, Bermudians rally in remembrance of the true origin of the holiday, Emancipation Day, which symbolizes one of the most significant moments in island history — the abolition of slavery in 1834.
In keeping with Cup Match’s Emancipation Day roots, this year’s influencer and content partnerships represent the BTA’s delivery on the Bermuda National Tourism Plan’s ongoing efforts to encourage more Black travelers to visit the island. By bringing authentic and influential Black voices to the island during this important event, potential Black visitors will see Bermuda’s culture at its very best. BTA board member and innovative fashion industry icon Shiona Turini helped gather this group of influencers keeping those goals in mind.
About the Bermuda Tourism Authority
The Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) is an independent, non-government, entity and the official destination marketing organization for the island country. The Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) promotes Bermuda globally as a world-class destination for leisure and group travel and tourism investment. For more information visit: www.gotobermuda.com/bermudatourism.