2022 BTA Summit Line Up
Power of Partnerships 2.0
The Bermuda Tourism Authority is excited to present the 2022 BTA Tourism Summit focused on the Power of Partnership!
Global tourism has seen tremendous disruptions over the past 2 years. Even amid the onslaught of pandemic-induced blows, Bermuda remained steadfast and nimble. Bermuda’s tourism sector has also faced a unique set of challenges that require creative ways to reignite and reengage our audiences. It is now our time to innovate and collaborate to achieve success for the island.
You’ll enjoy a day filled with interactive sessions, knowledgeable presenters from Bermuda and beyond, as well as opportunities to engage with others in the industry. There will be panel discussions and a keynote address in the main room, an exhibit zone, and breakout sessions offering a deep dive into specific areas of the business of tourism.
Our exhibit zones will offer training, insights, and networking opportunities:
- GOOGLE BAR - Visit the experts and get your company verified on site.
- Anchor BDA Preview – You’re already an advocate for our island - now get certified. We’ll show you how and highlight the benefits of our new tourism standards certification programme launching in 2023.
Outline for the Day
7:30 – 8:30 am - Registration & Continental Breakfast
8:45 – 9:00 am - Registration closes
Master of Ceremonies: Donn Foggo, Assistant Director of PR & Community Engagement, BTA
9:00 - 9:30 am – Welcome & Introduction of Minister of Tourism and the Cabinet Office, Harbourview Ballroom
- Minister of Tourism and the Cabinet Office – The Hon. Vance M. E. Campbell JP, MP
- Chairman of the Board – The Hon. Wayne Caines JP, MP
- Interim CEO – Tracy Berkeley
9:30 – 10:30 am Breakout Sessions
- Google Online Reputation, Harbourview Ballroom
Moderators: Kimberley Palmer, Miles Partnership
Your online reputation matters when users are searching for a travel destination. They need reliable and trustworthy, relevant information. Miles will give you the tools needed to address that.
- Build a Better Bermuda Experience, 1609 Restaurant
Moderators: David Thomas, Experience Manager- Sports, BTA
Join our BTA Experiences team for a masterclass in experience-building. They will share the keys to creating a successful experience including identifying exciting opportunities on the 2023 calendar and outlining the types of experiences that align with the National Tourism Plan objectives. What’s more, you’ll have insider access to the checklist that is the key to securing BTA marketing support for your next big idea for tourism’s on-the-ground experience.
- TikTok Training Session, Princess Ballroom
Moderators: Hayden Pigott, Miles Partnership
With over 1 billion monthly users, TikTok has emerged as the world’s fastest-growing social media platform. Our social media technology expert from Miles, a US-based digital marketing agency will provide tips to up your game and make your TikTok account a winner. In this session, you’ll learn how to:
- Build captivating content
- Drive engagement
- Build followers
- Secure bookings
- Earn quick wins
10:30 – 10:45 am - Networking & Engagement Break
10:45 – 11:15 am - Experience Panel Discussion, Harbourview Ballroom
Moderator: Zina Edwards, Corporate Communications
Bermuda’s on-island experiences deliver the memorable moments that vacationers are seeking. The Bermuda Tourism Authority is committed to ensuring that Bermuda’s visitors will have a raft of options to enjoy on-island. We connect with independent attractions and operators with authentic, frictionless experiences that will inspire visitors to spend, recommend and fall in love with Bermuda.
In this session, you will hear a panel discussion moderated by Zina Edwards as she explores the path of tourism entrepreneurs who were able to find success independently or developed it within their organisation. Each panellist has engaged with the BTA to support its success in unique ways. Hear from people who have found success in delivering tourism experiences, what they’ve done, and how they’ve done it.
- The Loren – Andre Roberts
- Lemon & Ginger – Jenita Dyer
- Uber Vida – Captain Denis Owen
11:15 am – 12:00 pm - Marketing, PR & Communications Presentation, Harbourview Ballroom
Moderator: Jamari Douglas, VP of Marketing, PR & Communications, BTA
In this session, you will discover how Bermuda is setting itself apart from the competition in 2022 - 2023 through innovative, data-driven initiatives - Targeting traditional markets, in non-traditional ways. And identifying exciting new markets to grow our business.
The Marketing division will highlight:
- How Bermuda leverages insights from the world’s leading brands and sets us apart from the rest
- How Bermuda is using unexpected storytelling to connect with audiences in markets that matter
- How Bermuda is using technology to measure and track the initiatives to gauge success
- How Bermuda’s hoteliers and stakeholders are critical partners for the island’s path to success
Ticole Swan – Director of Brand Marketing & Strategic Partnerships, BTA
Daren Bascome – Founder & Managing Director, Proverb Agency
Rebecca Sisson – Strategist, Proverb Agency
Lougé Delcy aka Dapper Lou - Founder, Dapper Studios
12:00 - Lunch (Buffet) Bermuda-inspired meal
12:00 pm – 1:15 pm - Luncheon & Keynote Address, Harbourview Ballroom
Power of Partnership Keynote Speaker: Joseph Diaz, Co-Founder of AFAR Magazine
AFAR is a quarterly print and digital publication focused on experiential travel and whose mission is “making travel a force for good.” Afar co-founder, Joseph Diaz, will join us to deliver a keynote address on the power of partnership.
1:30 – 2:15 pm - Airline Panel Discussion, Harbourview Ballroom
Moderator: Erin Smith, Chief Operations Officer, BTA
The airline industry has faced catastrophic challenges since the onset of the pandemic. Bermuda was not immune, in fact as a small-volume destination, our island still faces the fallout from the chain of events unleashed by COVID in 2020.
In this session, BTA COO, Erin Smith will lead a panel of airline specialists to explore the issues impacting the industry as a whole and those specific to Bermuda. They will discuss opportunities to mitigate the challenges and restore Bermuda’s airlift.
Moderator: Erin Smith, Chief Operations Officer
- Lester Nelson, CEO of Bermuda Airport Authority
- Ken Hassard, Commercial Director of Skyport
- Brad DiFiore, Managing Director of Ailevon Pacific Airline Consulting (APAC)
- Oliver Lamb, Managing Director of APAC
2:15 - 2:30 pm - Networking & Engagement Break
2:30 - 3:15 pm - Breakout Sessions
- Engage With Us - What's on the Calendar, Princess Ballroom
Moderator: Devin Lewis, VP of Sales and Business Development, BTA
Our Sales team boasts a robust year-round calendar filled with activations to drive business to Bermuda. Join us as we showcase where, when and how we will be delivering our value proposition to attract a new crop of prospective leisure and group travelers. Discover potential opportunities that may fit in your planning calendar.
- Media & Public Relations: Storytelling How to Win, Harbourview Ballrooom
Moderator: Kiwan Michael Anderson, Director Global Communications, PR & Content Development, BTA
Travel Deeper- Storytelling and media partnerships are the future. Our distinguished panel includes local and international speakers with a vast array of dynamic experience in media, public relations, communications, and content development. They will explore and share strategic approaches to pitching and crafting, pitching and writing stories that will earn you quality media coverage.
Panelists will include:
- Kevin Sintumuang, Culture & Lifestyle Director, Esquire/Hearst Publications
- Natalia Dowling-Kennedy, Associate Director, MMGY Hills-Balfour
- Liana Nanang, Founder & CEO, Unstoried
- Super Yachts - Getting Prepared, 1609 Restaurant
Moderator: Jill Dill, Assistant Director of Business Development & Partnerships, BTA & Ela Ayhan, Hills Balfour Team
Superyacht calls have seen tremendous growth since the BTA made this an area of focus with a dedicated sales team. Learn how Bermuda delivers and services this exclusive jet-setting travel segment.
3:15 - 3:45 pm - Speed Networking Break, Princess Ballroom
3:45 – 4:15 pm - Recruit & Retain Tourism Talent, Harbourview Ballroom
Moderator: Jakai Franks, VP of Operations, BTA
Tourism stakeholders have faced challenges in recruiting and retaining a quality workforce over the years. This panel will explore the issues and opportunities in the tourism workforce. They will outline steps to address workforce readiness and staffing gaps.
- Bermuda Workforce Development – Malika Cartwright, Director of Workforce Development, Bermuda Government
- Hamilton Princess Talent Division - Sharai Parris, Director of Talent and Culture, Hamilton Princess
- Hospitality Standards & Training - Meisha Medford, Human Resources Manager, Take Five Ltd.
4:30 – 6:00pm - Networking Reception, Harbour Terrace Music by DJ Rusty G
For general inquiries, please email Beverley Bennett, [email protected]