Tall ships have come to Bermuda before. But for the first time, you’ll be able to see these spectacular ships during the highly anticipated 35th America’s Cup, presented by Louis Vuitton, come to Bermuda May 26 – June 27, 2017. With these two events happening simultaneously, there’s no better time to experience the glory of sailing’s past and present.
It’s a perfect lead-up to the America’s Cup event as tall ships are the sailing machines of the past. – John Wadson
The Bermuda Tall Ships Festival is part of the international Rendezvous Tall Ships Regatta – a transatlantic sailing race that spans 7,000 nautical miles and visits six destinations, including Bermuda. The festival celebrates the arrival of the fleet and gives the regatta crew a chance to rest and relax before continuing on their sailing adventure.
Tall Ships, Fun Festivities
The Bermuda Tall Ships Festival will be held June 1-5 in the City of Hamilton, Bermuda’s scenic harbour-front capital. Be sure to break from the America’s Cup festivities to celebrate maritime heritage and see these captivating ships up-close.
Events and activities surrounding the festival include:
- STREET FESTIVAL ON FRONT STREET, June 1 – Indulge in al fresco dining and entertainment on lively Front Street to celebrate the tall ships’ arrival in Hamilton.
- FIREWORKS SHOW, June 1 – Fireworks will light up the night sky from White’s Island in Hamilton Harbour.
- TALL SHIP TOURS, June 2-4 – Come aboard the stately tall ships to see them up-close and snap some shareable photos. Check the official schedule to see what times the ships are open for tours.
- CONCERT AT CITY HALL CAR PARK, June 2 – This nighttime music concert will be held from 9 pm to 1 am. The event is open to the public but tickets are required.
- CREW PARADE, June 3 – The parade will start at 6:30 pm at Barr’s Bay Park and proceed down Front Street before winding up at Victoria Park in the center of town.
- PARADE OF SAIL, June 5 – The majestic tall ship fleet departs Bermuda for the next port city. Rise early for the perfect photo op – the fleet is set to depart at 9 am.
The Rendezvous Tall Ships Regatta
The transatlantic Rendezvous Tall Ships Regatta will visit six countries from April to September 2017. Before arriving in Bermuda with more than 20 ships, the regatta fleet will sail from Royal Greenwich in the United Kingdom to Sines, Portugal. After departing Bermuda following the Tall Ships Festival, the fleet will sail to Boston, Prince Edward Island and Quebec City.
The Rendezvous Tall Ships Regatta is operated by the Sail Training Association of Bermuda, also known as Tall Ships Bermuda. Their aim is to place young Bermudians, aged 18-25, onboard an international fleet of sail training vessels to participate in one leg of a race that circumnavigates the North Atlantic.
For more information on the Bermuda Tall Ships Festival and the Rendezvous Tall Ships Regatta, visit Tall Ships Bermuda.